Menu

History of Architecture Liberty Department Store Regent Street

0 Comment

Liberty Department Store is strategically located on Regent Street, on the West End shopping district of Central of London in England, United Kingdom. There are two wings of the store, with one of the oldest wing facing Marlborough Street. There are a number of items that are sold in the department store including men’s, women and children’s fashion, furniture, gifts, stationery, jewelry, beauty products, homeware and cosmetics among other luxury goods. In addition, a brand of luxury accessories exists and is branded ‘Liberty of London’. The store is distinguished by its graphic and floral prints, which are found within the interior of the building. The building serves as one of the spectacular demonstrations of the Tudor Revival Arts and Crafts architecture not only within London but also across the world (Liberty London, 2014). From the look of interior view, one can easily tell that the building has been designed for luxury products. The window displays in the store are quite spectacular. They complement the design by providing a clear relationship with its function.
The Liberty Department store has a long history that relates to its current use. The development of the structure relates to the life of Arthur Lanseby Liberty who established a retail shop in 1875 at Regent Street. The shop dealt with artistic objects and ornaments from Japan and Asia. This initial business thrived enabling him to buy other properties within the same locality. Around 1884, he began engaging in fashion items where he dealt with costumes. A year later, Liberty shop became the most fashionable place to shop providing stiff competition to conventional markets such as the Paris fashions. Over the years, the store grew and was redesigned by Edwin T. Hall together with his son Edwin S. Hall using the Tudor Style that stands to date (Liberty London, 2014).&nbsp.